Corona Virus Coronavirus Update (2020-03-26)
Coronavirus Update (2020-03-26)
Update from The Rear Commodore
So much has changed since Pip Hare’s inspirational talk just 2 weeks ago! Isolation at home has become part of everyday life for many. Perhaps solo ocean racers like Pip can give us guidance on coping with extended periods of isolation:
- • Stay Positive & think ahead.
- • Give yourself (and those you are living with) a structure and routine.
- • Regular communication with others.
- • Refocus your energy.
- • Be ready to adapt to change.
Some of us will be isolated but sharing their house with others; there will also be some of us will be completely alone (just like those solo ocean racers). It’s important we apply the above principles. WLYC is a community in itself we may be isolated physically from each other but we must make maximum use of the communications available to us to keep in touch and support each other. There are many resources available to help us some traditional, some modern:
- • Telephone: Use the handbook to lookup a member’s preferred contact tel No
- • Mobile: Chat, text. Keep your mobile’s “Contacts” list up to date
- • Email: Use it and make sure others know your email address
- • Facebook: Join and contribute to WLYC Members’ Group
- • WhatsApp: Many within the Club already use this to keep in touch as a Group or as individuals
- • Mailchimp: however, this is really a one-way broadcast system. Sending out a Mailchimp can be cumbersome and takes time. We need to develop a small team to speed up the process and spread the load.
- • Club Website: it can be used to keep people up to date and we are very grateful for all the work put into maintaining the site. Note we have added a Coronavirus Dropdown menu where you can download and read the latest updates
Additional software that you may wish to download onto your PC, Laptop, ipad / android device and smartphone:
- • Zoom: a free Conference Call system that allows you to schedule calls, invite guests and make 40 min calls for free. All you need is access to the internet! Already some groups within the Club have tried it out successfully: 24 Hr Race Committee, the Club Lunch Time Launch Group. Others are familiar with it at work. It is a far more powerful communications tool than many think. Ideal for extended families to keep in touch as a group. There is a virtual Pub using Zoom; perhaps we could run our own virtual Golden Lion Bar. The possibilities are only limited by our imagination.
- • Virtual Regatta: Keep those racing skills honed – there are 2 versions: Offshore and Inshore. Anybody out there know if we can host / run races of our own on Virtual Regatta? Or know of any other software that we could use?
You could say what I am describing is a virtual Club but there is a very real community behind it - all WLYC members. This is a virtual club run by our members for our members. Everyone can have an input but communications media are the key functions. If you have any thoughts, please join the Members Group on Facebook and add a comment on the “Living in Isolation” post . Why Facebook?
- • The comments need to be open for all to read (and respond to if they want).
- • It requires the minimum amount of administrative support.
Our webmaster advises me, he can easily adapt what is on the website already as a Blog / Noticeboard page to allow Club members to register, post articles and message other members "privately" or in public. If anyone has ideas for a better platform to have such open discussions, please comment on the Facebook Group. I know that’s a bit “Chicken and Egg” but we have to start somewhere! And watch out for developments of the Blog function on our club website.
Finally, this is your club, do please free to contribute and support each other. If you find in need of anything in the coming days weeks or may be months, please make contact on telephone, WhatsApp Facebook or ... on the website ... facebook our aim is to have someone there.
Rear Commodore WLYC
West Lancashire Yacht Club
would like to thank all our valued 24 Hour Race sponsors for their continued support
(click on any of their logos to be redirected to their own website)
(please remember to mention you found them via West Lancashire Yacht Club when buying any of their products)